Organizations struggle to find the right approach to secure and control sensitive files. Selecting data-centric tools and processes gets even more complicated since many of them have overlapping functions, strengths, and weaknesses. Then add on the flurry of gap-filling point solutions (e.g. CASB, end-point protection) that flooded the market to address cloud and mobility issues; it’s no surprise that security, risk and IT teams are overwhelmed.
This brief introduces a comprehensive approach to file security and privacy compliance. Fasoo’s powerful file-centric, protect first platform overcomes the limitations of current data loss prevention and analytic solutions to fortify security, enhance privacy compliance, and simplify operations.
- Secures the file itself rather than point solutions for every network, file share, cloud service, or endpoint device where it may travel.
- Automatically applies layered protection that travels with the sensitive file by encrypting, controlling user access, and has the option to restrict file usage (e.g., view, edit, save, print).
- Enables a self-reporting file method for the lifecycle of the file to meet audit and privacy requirements like GDPR and CCPA.
- Instantaneously discovers, classifies, and protects sensitive files as created without user involvement or disruption to workflows.
- Consistently applies and enforces centralized policies across the entire data inventory whether
AN EXPANDING THREAT SURFACE
Think how many times a day you either create, edit, or share files on different devices as you move from home to mobile to the office. Often using multiple cloud services, collaboration applications and likely downloading and saving files… now multiply that by every employee in your company.
GROWTH OF UNSTRUCTURED DATA 80% of all business’s data inventory is unstructured data
That’s a tremendous number of files, often created and used without security or compliance in mind.
Data proliferation is staggering. And unstructured data growth leads the way representing some 80% of business’s data inventory. Sensitive and regulated data inside unstructured data formats (word, spreadsheets, presentations, CAD/ CAE files) is particularly challenging and creates significant issues for data security, privacy and governance. Sensitive unstructured files are routinely undermanaged. They represent an expanding threat surface that exposes your organization to data breaches and the resulting consequences.
DRAWBACKS IN CURRENT APPROACHES
Two predominant data security approaches in the market today are data loss protection (DLP) and user behavior analytics (UBA). While using different methods, both share the same challenges in protecting sensitive files that leaves gaps in protection and privacy.
These solutions have failed to keep pace with digital transformation where sensitive files travel and are accessed outside of corporate repositories. They are challenging to scale and leave gaps where sensitive files are exposed to unauthorized access.
It’s because they monitor locations, devices and your users, but don’t protect the file itself. The approaches worked when perimeters were well-defined and corporate configured desktops were the primary endpoints. But BYOD, mobile, WFH, and cloud services have transformed the digital workplace.
- An impractical chase to protect each perimeter, user and device where data travels
- A monitor-alert approach that leaves sensitive files unprotected and staff overwhelmed
- Inability to enforce consistent controls across hybrid and multi-cloud environments
- Reliance on disparate systems and device logs to comply with privacy reporting